108 Divya Desam - Ramanathapuram District


Aadhi Jegannathan, facing east


Padmasini Thaayar, facing east

Other Deities

Garuda, Dharba Sayana Ramar, Naagar

Thirupullani is an east-facing temple with a large temple tank in front of a beautiful 5 tiered Rajagopuram at the east-facing entrance. The temple is situated in 2 Prakarams. The outer Prakaram is filled with beautiful trees and presents a cool atmosphere. The inner Prakaram has the sanctum sanctorum of the lord and the shrine of the goddess. The main deity of Adhi Jegannathan is seen in a sitting posture with his consorts Sreedevi and Bhoodevi on either side.

Chakra Theertham, Hamsa Theertham, Varuna Theertham, Rama Theertham, Agastya Theertham, Hiranya Theertham, Kanva Theertham, Ksheera River and Adhi Sethu (ancient sea)

Sacred Tree (Sthala Vriksham) – Arasamaram (Peepal Tree – Ficus relegiosa)


Thirumangai Azhwar (c. 8th century CE) has sung the praise of the lord here at Thirupullani. The expansion of the Thirupullani temple is said to have been initiated during the Medieval Chola period. Later Pandya kings have also contributed to the development of the temple. A damaged inscription in the temple belonging to the 37th year of Maravarman Sundara Pandyan in 1305 CE records an order of a minister by the name Arya Chakravarthi. Historians believe that portions of the Thirupullani temple have been built by Jaffna kings, who were allies of the Pandya Empire and also ruled the Rameswaram area. There are a few more damaged inscriptions from 1518 CE belonging to the period of Mahabali Vanadaraya Naykkar and another from 1528 CE during the reign of Sundarattoludaiyar Mahabali Vanadarayar. Some of the inscriptions in the Thirupullani temple mention Arab traders visiting the Pandyan Empire trading on pearl and pepper and in return being allowed to build mosques for worship in the region. The mosques which followed Dravidian architecture with stone pillars were called Kallupalli. Thirupullani temple has also received a lot of contributions from the Kings of the Vijayanagara Empire. Mention of this temple has been made by Thirunavukkarasar and Thirugnanasambandar, the great Saivite saints of the 7th Century CE. A detailed description of this temple is provided in a Sangam period literary work called the Aga Nanooru which is a collection of 400 love poems. The poems have been dated by Kamil Zvelebil – a scholar of Tamil literature and history, to have been written by various poets between 1st Century BCE and 5th Century CE.


Lord Rama is believed to have laid down on a bed of grass in penance here at Thirupullani (Pul – Grass) to invoke the co-operation of the God of the Oceans to build a bridge to cross over to Sri Lanka and rescue his consort Sita from Ravana. Lord Rama is also believed to have prayed to Lord Aadhi Jegannathan here at Thirupullani to receive a weapon to kill and ensure his victory over Ravana. Vibeeshana is believed to have come over and surrendered to Rama here at Thirupullani. Vibeeshana was also crowned king of Sri Lanka here at Thirupullani. The god of the ocean, Sage Kanuva, and others have worshiped the lord here and received his blessings. It is also believed that Dasaratha, the father of Lord Rama, performed many yagas here to receive the sweet pudding he gave to his wives to beget children.


Thirupullani is 10 kilometers south of Ramanathapuram and about 56 kilometers west of Rameswaram.

Stay and Food

None locally. The closest is Ramanathapuram or Rameswaram depending on your travel plans.

error: Content is protected !!