Krishna Manalikarai is an ancient west facing temple with 2 Prakarams. There is a small temple pond east of the temple which can also be reached from the east side of the outer Prakaram. The temple is a granite structure with a circular sanctum and conical roofs with red tiles in Kerala style. The rituals and pujas at this temple are also as per Kerala traditions. The Major temple festival is conducted by April–May of every year. The ten days of Festival that takes place during Lord Krishna’s birthday is grand with special pujas, Elephant processions, cultural programs like Nadakam (Drama), Kathakali (Traditional art), Bale (Dramatic dance), and Ottanthullal, Palli Vetta and on the final day Aarattu Mahotsavam culminating in the Kodi Irakkam and fireworks.
Holy Water (Theertham) – Temple tank
Sacred Tree (Sthala Vriksham) – No information
An Inscription about Taxation was written in a pillar in front of the Manalikkara Alwar Temple during the reign of Venad ruler King Veera Ravi Kerala Varma (1215- 1240 CE). The existence of Manalikkara Azhwar temple, as it used to be called originally, is mentioned in the ‘Manalikkara Inscriptions’ dating back to 1236 CE. The present “Kodimaram” (flag pole) in front of the temple was installed in the last century. Manalikkara Madom is where Brahmin scholars lived and practiced their expertise in tantric rituals, vedas and literature. K V Manalikkara who translated several books from Sanskrit to Malayalam and created the second smallest book in the world called “Rasarasika” (1.5 cms in length and 1 cm in width) containing 5 characters in each line readable only through a lens was from here. Palm leaf manuscript bundles about ancient scientific researches and vedic literature’s were found from Manalikkara Madom that was later shifted to Oriental Research and Manuscript Library at University of Kerala in Thiruvananthapuram. The 13 plays in Sanskrit called Swapnavasavadatta written by the famous playwright and ancient poet Bhasa were unearthed from Manalikkara Madom in 1912 by T.Ganapati Sastri that was believed to be lost till the time. The Sanskrit literature Devi Mahatmyam written in palm leaves fabricated in the shape of a garland was also found in Manalikkara Madom. It consists of a string of fifteen beads, each made of inseparable palm leaves pressed against two ingeniously worked out knots.”Aryamanju Sreemoola Kalpam” a rare work about Buddhism was also found in Manalikkara Madom. The script is in Devanagari, written with special resinous ink. It consists of 307 palm leaves. The “Manalikkara Shasanam” written by Ravi Kerala Varma and the Unnuneeli Sandesam script found by the poet Ulloor S. Parameswara Iyer were from the library of Manalikara Madom.
The Manalikkara Madom was founded by a Brahmin family residing in a place called Mathoor in Kalkulam area. They were the priests of the famous 108 Divya Desam Thiruvattar Adikesava temple. To overcome poverty, they believed in worshiping a particular Lord Ganesha deity which was then lying in a place called Kottur. They brought the deity to Manalikara Madom and started worshiping.
Krishna Manalikarai is about 6 Kilometers north of Thucalay on the road to Kulasekaram.
Stay and Food
None locally. Closest for food is Thucalay and stay is Nagercoil.