Karivaradarajar Aragalur

Karivaradarajar, Aragalur

Vaishnavite Temples - Salem District


Karivaradaraja Perumal with consorts, facing west


Kamalamangai Thaayar, facing east

Other Deities

Vinayaka, Anjaneya, Garuda, 12 Azhwars, Vishwaksenar, Aandal, Chakrathazhwar, Venugopala with Rukmani and Satyabhama

Karivaradarajar Aragalur is a west-facing temple with a beautiful 3 tiered Rajagopuram at the entrance in the west. The goddess shrine faces east. Karivaradarajar Aragalur is situated in a single Prakaram. After crossing the Rajagopuram on the right side are a mandapam and the shrine of Venugopala (Krishna) with his consorts Rukmini and Satyabhama. A balipeedam, Flagstaff and Garuda Mandapam follows. Outside the mandapam are another Garuda and a Naagar idol. The goddess shrine is on the north side facing east towards the main deity. There are two Dwarapalakis on either side of the inner sanctum of the goddess, who is seen in a standing posture. There is a Mukha Mandapam in front of the Mahamandapam leading to the sanctum sanctorum of the main deity. An Ardha Mandapam is present before the main deity, who is about 5 feet tall including the pedestal, in a standing posture with his consorts Sreedevi and Bhoodevi. Aandal has a separate shrine in the Prakaram. Outside the Rajagopuram are a small temple pond, A shrine for Vinayaka, and a separate shrine for Anjaneya who is seen facing east towards the Rajagopuram. There is a temple chariot stationed outside. There is a Pancha Bootha Shiva Temple and another shiva temple on the opposite side. There are many small Amman temples also in Aragalur. About 1.3 kilometers west of Kamanatheeswarar Aragalur is a shrine for Lord Budha as a 10 feet tall carving in a seated posture.

Holy Water (Theertham) – Yoga Narasimhar Thirukulam

Sacred Tree (Sthala Vriksham) – Vilwam (Aegle marmelos)


Karivaradarajar Aragalur is an ancient temple as is evident from the numerous inscriptions found around the sanctum sanctorum outer walls. The original temple precedes the inscriptions. These inscriptions dated between 1290 CE and 1583 CE mention contributions made by Pandya, Chola, and Vijayanagar Kings. Copper coins issued in the 13th Century CE during the Chola Rule, have been used to procure lands for the temple by a Chieftain called Vanakovaraiyan Rajarajadevan Vannenjan alias Vannenja who had Aragalur as his capital. His queen Punyavati Nachiyar contributed to the renovation of the Vimaanam over the sanctum sanctorum of the main deity.


No information


Karivaradarajar Aragalur is about 75 kilometers east of Salem off the road going to Kallakurichi.

Stay and Food

None locally. The closest is the Kallakurichi to Salem highway and Salem.

error: Content is protected !!