Chakrathazhwar Karisoozhnthamangalam

Chakrathazhwar, Karisoozhnthamangalam

Vaishnavite Temples - Tirunelveli District


Chakrathazhwar (main deity) Venkatachalapathi(processional deity), facing east


Padmavathi Thaayar, facing east

Other Deities

Chakrathazhwar, Garudan, Narasimhar

Chakrathazhwar Karisoozhnthamangalam is a small and beautiful temple located right above the Tamiraparani River that flows on the north side. A large Peepal tree and spacious frontage and bathing ghats provide an ideal spot to relax. The practice of Kerala Nambbbothris used to be practiced here. There are 2 Prakarams in this east-facing temple. The outer Prakaram has a Nandavanam (Garden) and a paved circumambulatory path. There is a Sastha shrine next to the steps which lead down to the river. After that is Vinayaka and Naagar idols under a Peepal tree. The walls of the inner Prakaram are high and is entered through a doorway in the east which leads to a Maha Mantapam and the Ardha Mantapam, where the Utsavar Venkatachalapathy with his consorts are kept. The Sanctum Sanctorum of the main deity, Chatkartazhwar is after these. The main deity Chakrathazhwar is double-sided. The front Sudarsana Moorthy has 16 hands and the back has Yoga Narasimha with chakras in all his 4 hands. Garudan is installed on the wall in the Northeast corner as is common in many of the Vishnu temples in the area.

Holy Water (Theertham) – Romasa Maharishi Kattam of Tamiraparani River

Sacred Tree (Sthala Vriksham) – No information


30 inscriptions have been found here at Chakrathazhwar Karisoozhnthamangalam. All of them are in Telugu and Tamil languages. Out of this 11 belong to the Pandyas, 13 and 11 each respectively to the period before and after the Vijayanagar Empire. The oldest of them is the one belonging to Maravarman Sundaravarman date 1216 CE. The name of the place is mentioned as Then Thiruvenkatam in this inscription and in many of the others. An inscription of Maravarman Kulasekaran I (1298 CE) mentions the construction of the Vimaanam and its Kumbabishekam by one Pidhoosi Raghuthar, son of Kaneesa Raghuthar. Inscription of 1544 and 1545 CE mention the contribution of Appayyangar (an aide of Vijayanagar Kings) listing the copper-plated flagstaff, Garuda Vaahanam, statuettes of Azhwars, a silver plate, Lakshmi Narayana idol, and land for temple maintenance to Chakrathazhwar Karisoozhnthamangalam. Another inscription of 1453 CE mentions the donation of all assets of a Madam, including gold ornaments, silver utensils, coins, and expensive garments by the disciple of Amararaju Sreepada, Mukudanandapuri to Chakrathazhwar Karisoozhnthamangalam. Originally this place was called by many names including Kalisayamamngalam, Kalijeyamangalam, Kalisekaramangalam, Kalisekarimangalam, and Kulasekaramangalam. Only in an inscription of 1814 CE is it mentioned as Karisoozhnthamangalam.


Sage Romasa is believed to have worshiped the Lord here. The main deity of Chakrathazhwar Karisoozhnthamangalam is believed to have been given the authority to provide long life and good health by Lord Vishnu. He is also believed to be an amalgamation of the qualities of both Varaha and Narasimha Avatars of Lord Vishnu.


Chakrathazhwar Karisoozhnthamangalam is 3.5 kilometers northeast of Pattamadai and can be reached via Karisoozhntha Mangalam. A small fork before the temple will take you to Kalahasteeswarar Temple which is also beautifully situated on the banks of Tamiraparani. Pattamadai is 20 kilometers southwest of Tirunelveli.

Stay and Food

None locally, except tea shops in Pattamadai. Closest is Tirunelveli.

error: Content is protected !!