Vanmeekanadar Thiruvetriyur

Vanmeekanadar, Thiruvetriyur

Saivite Temples - Ramanathapuram District


Vanmeekanadar, facing east


Baagampiriyaal, facing south

Other Deities

Agastya Vinayakar, Putradi Vinayakar, Naagar, Muruga with consorts, Bhairava, Navagraha, Saneeswara. Sanctum Niches – Dakshinamurthy, Chandikeswara

Vanmeekanadar Thiruvetriyur is an east-facing temple situated in a single spacious Prakaram. A large extended Mukha Mandapam spreads across the width of the temple in front of a 5 tiered Rajagopuram. In front of this in the east is a large Temple Tank. A common Maha Mandapam is before the east facing sanctum sanctorum of the main deity and the south facing shrine of the Goddess. A beautiful temple car is stationed on the opposite side of the Rajagopuram on the east side of the temple tank. On the northeast side of Vanmeekanadar Thiruvetriyur is the temple of Vazhvandhamman under the same administration. The Brahmotsavam of Vanmeekanadar Thiruvetriyur takes place only after the Utsav of the Vazhvandhamman temple.

Holy Water (Theertham) – Vasuki Theertham

Sacred Tree (Sthala Vriksham) – Vilwam (Aegle marmelos), Neem (Azadirachta indica)


Vanmeekanadar Thiruvetriyur is a Thirumurai Vaippu Sthalam having been mentioned in the hymns of Thirugnanasambandar(2-39-6), Thirunavukkarasar(6-70-8), and Sundarar(7-12-3). Their times range between the 7th and 8th Century CE indicating that the original temple existed during that time itself. Vanmeekanadar Thiruvetriyur is an old temple developed by Kizhavan Sethupathi (1671 to 1710 CE), the king of Ramanathapuram. The Rajagopuram is a recent addition. More historical information is not available as of now. The temple is under the administration of Sivakasi Samasthanam Devasthanam.


Lord Vishnu is believed to have worshiped Lord Shiva here at Vanmeekanadar Thiruvetriyur to get relief from a curse by Dharma Devata in his Vamana Avatar for killing King Mahabali, considered a symbol of generosity. The tears of Dharma Devata who fell at his feet and cried created a cancerous growth. He was advised to come to Vanmeekanadar Thiruvetriyur and worship Lord Shiva who was in a Putru (Snake Mound also called Vanmeegam). After getting cured, an exalted Mahavishnu is said to have embraced Lord Shiva and remained in his side as one part of the goddess Baagampiriyal (one how does not separate from the Lord’s side). Vasuki the celestial serpent who was used as a rope to churn the ocean let out poison thus polluting the ocean and was cursed. Vasuki is believed to have come here, created the theertham, and worshiped Lord Shiva, who was in a snake mound, to get relief from the curse. Worshiping the Lord here before embarking on anything provides victory (Vetri) and thus the name of the village became Thiru Vetri Oor. Even today the farmers keep seedlings before the lord as an offering for a successful harvest season. The goddess here at Vanmeekanadar Thiruvetriyur is considered more important and the locals had the habit of registering a small part of the land in the name of the goddess and by naming their girl children as Baagampiriyaal. A lot of grinding stones can be seen here as an offering to the goddess after using it to create the rice flour to make lamps.


Vanmeekanadar Thiruvetriyur is about 42 kilometers north of Ramanathapuram. Vanmeekanadar Thiruvetriyur can be reached by taking a left towards the west at a village called Veerasangilmadam on the East Coast Road going towards Thondi.

Stay and Food

None locally except tea shops. The closest is Ramanathapuram.

error: Content is protected !!