Vaseeswarar Vayalakavur

Vaseeswarar, Vayalakavur

Saivite Temples, Uthiramerur Taluk


Vaseeswarar, facing east


Yelavar Kuzhali, facing south

Other Deities

Sanctum Niches – Nritha Ganapathy, Dakshinamurthy, Mahavishnu, Brahma, Durga, Chandikeswara. Somaskandar, Varadaraja Perumal with Sreedevi and Bhoodevi, Ganesha, Kasi Viswanathar, Visalakshi, Lakshmi, Saraswati, Annapoorni, Agastya, Muruga, Gajavalli, Lingam, Bhairava, Nataraja, Bhairava, Chandi Bhairava, Sivasuryan, Navagraha. At the entrance – Lakshmi Hyagrivar, Maha Ganapathi, Dhandayudhapani, Ayyappa, Anjaneya

Vaseeswarar Vayalakavur is a medium sized east facing temple with a 2 tiered Rajagopuram at the eastern entrance. A temple tank is east of the temple just outside. There are 2 Prakarams. On the walls where usually you see the Nandis in reclining posture are seen here in sitting posture as Nandikeswara. A Mahamantapa, Mukha Mantapa and Ardha Mantapa is followed by the Lord’s Sanctum Sanctorum. The Lingam is large and is also called Vanatheeswara. The holy tree Vilwam is seen growing along with a Neem tree. Below this are Naagar idols with Lingam, Goddess and Muruga with his mount peacock carved in them. The temple is situated very close to the Cheyyar River.

Holy Water (Theertham) – Temple tank

Sacred Tree (Sthala Vriksham) – Vilwam (Aegle amrmelos)


Vaseeswarar Vayalakavur is an ancient temple as is evident from the many inscriptions present all around the sanctum sanctorum. Vaseeswarar Vayalakavur is said to have been built by later Pallavas. During the reign of Rajaraja III in the year 1238 CE a person by name Kaattadum Devan has contributed to keep the lamps burning in the temple. In 1243 CE another person called Varanasiyudaya Kalappalan turned this temple into a stone construction, built the Mantapa and contributed towards burning of Lamps. Individuals including Komal Ramadevan and others have contributed for the festivals, maintenance and concessions for the temple employees. In 1244 CE Kopperunchingan has ordered an individual from Iraiyur to contribute for the maintenance of the temple. In 1260 CE Jadavarma Sundarapandyan contributed for the burning of Lamps and the name of the lord has been mentioned as Varanandeeswaramudayar. During the reign of Kandagopalan in 1279 CE a cow has been donated to the temple. Another inscription of Sadasiva Raya of the Vijayanagar Empire in 1560 mentions the donation of a village for the maintenance of the Vaseeswarar Vayalakavur temple.


No information


Vaseeswarar Vayalakavur is 25 kilometers west of Chingleput. Take the road to Walajabad, cross the bridge across Paalar right after the hill temple of Lakshmi Narasimha at Pazhayaseevaram, cross Thirumukkoodal temple and drive on for 6 kilometers on the road that follows the banks of Cheyyar River to reach Vaseeswarar Vayalakavur. If you are coming from Uthiramerur, take a right at Kadambar Kovil junction and drive on for 10 kilometers in the Thirumukkoodal road to reach Vaseeswarar Vayalakavur. The temple is near the main road itself.

Stay and Food

None locally. Closest are Uthiramerur or Walajabad.

error: Content is protected !!